Sunday, March 8, 2015

My Poor Mum

A month ago, my Mum tripped while walking along the street in her retirement complex. She face-planted the bitumen and ended up being taken to hospital. This is what I saw when I finally got there (I had to phone a number of hospitals in the area before I found out which one she was in). (It's not a flattering photo, at all!)


She severely bruised her right eye socket and cheek, as well as her chin, left knee and hip. She also cut her lip and broke two teeth. Miraculously, she did not break any bones or require any stitches etc. Considering she is 79 years old, I reckon that's incredible. She stayed in hospital for four days and then came home with me for another four days, as she had a really severe concussion. I'm pleased to say that she's now mostly recovered, except for her teeth (She did have a dentist's appointment that she didn't keep, but that's another story) and her damaged glasses.

The reason I'm sharing this is because I disappear off the blog landscape for long periods of time, and I often feel guilty about not spending more time of my blog and cards (though I did also have two commissions for the magazines during this same time). ~O~ (That's me with my hands in the air, shrugging) But with me, family always comes first.

But I'm able to share this birthday card, today, that I made using a "make and take" from Craft Giraffe a couple of weeks's ago during their Silly Weekend Sale. I made it with help of Tracey Cooley from Couture Creations. (She's such a scream. I'm looking forward to catching up with her again in June at the Papercraft Expo here in Brisbane.) I love the layering we put on the paper (which started off plain white). 


Anyway, this card is for my niece who's 11 today, so "Happy Birthday, Sarah!"

I'll be back soon with some cards I've made from practice pieces while I was researching for a series of cards I made using watercoloured backgrounds. Wait and see!

Bye for now.
Love,
Janelle

4 comments:

  1. Lovely card. I am glad your mum is mostly recovered. Yes our family must come first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a prize, I'd award you "First Post the Post"! :) You were fast - I only posted about 15 minutes ago. I don't begrudge Mum the time I have to spend on her (taking her to all of her appointments and grocery shopping etc), because I know any time with her now are memories in the making for me. Also seeing how quickly things can change from good to bad has also made me cherish her that little bit more.
      Glad you like the card. Cheers.

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear that your mum is well and life is getting back on track (including some fab crafty time). I just know your niece will love the card, all those fabulous layers and glitzy goodness, it's perfect! Can't wait to see what else you have been making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Janelle, I'm so sorry about your mother's fall and all the pain and suffering she has been through and is still dealing with for her teeth. Thank goodness it wasn't worse than it was! You are a dear to be there for her and take such good care of her, as she did for you all those years ago! That's how life should be!

    Your card is sensational! What outstanding layering and design! I think it may have ended, but darn it, this card would have been PERFECT for Mrs. A.'s butterfly/hexagon challenge! I hope you can share more of your art soon, but I understand that family comes first! All the best to your sweet Mum!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you've enjoyed my blog.